The Impact of Human Element in Shipping Industry
Capt. N. Kumar1, T.Subhashini2

1Capt. N. Kumar, Director, School of Maritime Studies, Vels Institute of Science, Technology & Advanced Studies, Chennai (TamilNadu), India.

2T. Subhashini, Lecturer, Department of Electrical & Electronics Engineering, School of Maritime Studies, Vels Institute of Science, Technology & Advanced Studies, Chennai (TamilNadu), India.

Manuscript received on 05 April 2019 | Revised Manuscript received on 12 April 2019 | Manuscript Published on 26 July 2019 | PP: 201-206 | Volume-8 Issue-6S4 April 2019 | Retrieval Number: F10400486S419/19©BEIESP | DOI: 10.35940/ijitee.F1040.0486S419

Open Access | Editorial and Publishing Policies | Cite | Mendeley | Indexing and Abstracting
© The Authors. Blue Eyes Intelligence Engineering and Sciences Publication (BEIESP). This is an open-access article under the CC-BY-NC-ND license (

Abstract: Today there are less number of active seafarers in our midst, “Besides”, they are the great important element in shipping and slowly this industry is beginning to realize the central importance of seafarers. The crisis is coming and the industry is awakening to the fact it must deal with the human element in its business. Therefore in this paper it is intended to establish priorities to human factor, According to Ergonomics the scientific study concerned with understanding of interactions among humans and other elements of a system. Furthermore by the exploratory study it was observed that human error contributing to 75% & remaining 25% technical failures, According to the study it is reveal that taking risk in work, inadequate training, not following rules & regulations, habitability issues (engine noise, sea sick, fatigue, vibration, illuminations, sleep disturbance, temperature), No team work, lack of communication, lack of application of safety, inadequate knowledge, crew negligence, inattention, overconfidence, work schedules. A valuable ergonomics will safe the human element & increases the productivity. This paper is to predict the outcome of human impact on marine accidents.

Keywords: Safety at sea, Marine Accident, Human Factor, Human Error, Automation.
Scope of the Article: Social Sciences